New from Dr. Charles Fay!
Chapter 5 asks: Does Your Child Have Too Much Stuff?
Why are so many kids so chronically distracted?
- Because they are in chronic need or experience hunger that is distracting.
- Because their home lives are in chaos as they have to parent their parents.
- Because they have way too much... having everything they want gets in the way of having everything they need.
Dr. Fay calls the third reason a different type of ADD, "Affluence Distraction Disorder!" The solutions for this problem? (First, always, always lead with empathy!)
- Gift children with opportunities to struggle toward earning something they want.
- Provide less stuff... it can lead to a sense of entitlement. ("Since everything in life is free, my grades should be too!" p. 63)
- Help your children learn how you have earned what you have.
- Have a plan for excessive gift giving by family.
- Encourage your children to give toys to less fortunate kids.
- Be willing to be the strangest parent on the block.
- Spend time with your kids so that you are the greatest gifts you can be to one another.