What kind of teen would you really like? (It's not too early to start planning for this in early childhood!)
Intentional parenting yields better results then firefighting. In other words, don't just respond to crises... plan ahead. Here are some things other parents would like to see in their teen
- Respectful conversation other adults
- Responsible decision making
- Rock solid self esteem
- Growing independence with evidence that they can and will handle life well on their own
- Evidence of respect in the home
- Happy well adjusted young adults who still have a sense of humor and like spending time with the family.
- Good work ethic and study habits
- A clean room
- Home on time
- No substance abuse
- Healthy decision making in sexuality
- Great relationships with a good peer group
- A positive vision for their future
So how do you get there? is it too late if you are already in the teen years?
It is never to late to improve your parenting and have a better relationship with your child. It might not be easy but it is important and possible. So let's start looking at how to get to where you want to be from wherever you are now.