Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless is a book available at http://www.loveandlogic.com and written by Jim and Charles fay. The next 10 entries will all come from or be related to this book. (Kind of a try before you buy!) As always, the Fays start with the basics. The first basic of Love and Logic is to "Help kids feel good about themselves." Psychological research says that "children with the highest self concepts have parents who:
1. Set firm but loving limits.
2. Expect their children to do a fair number of chores around the house.
3. Allow their kids to struggle with the consequences of poor choices instead of rescuing them.
4. Let theri chidlren see that they can solve their own problems and make wiser decisions as a result.
5. Show them that manipulation and arguing are very ineffective ways of getting what they want out of life." (The above is from p. xxi)